Saturday, February 21, 2009

borrowed from a letter to B.H.


Well, you know my sorta friend, the blonde that used to sell radio advertising to me. Last week I went to see her husband "K" out at the Ford place on Houston Levee Road. And we looked around and talked a lot, but I just didn't find anything. And my problem was (was, not is, because now I have a car) is that when I bought the Nissan Pathfinder, I was making $X~K. I eventually got up to $Y~K, before plummeting to $V~K. (and thankful to have the $V~k!) And that decline of at least $10K, if not $30K, has caused me to make a whole lotta lotta changes. (i.e., I don't have cable, I may go to Molly's once a month now and order a sandwich instead of 3 times a week ordering fajitas, etc.). Plus I know that I am working at a place that continues to make lay offs, etc. and I wanted to have a reasonable chance of surviving on unemployment for a little while if it all falls apart. While I don't think they're about to lay me off, no one ever has any assurances.

So there I was. Needing a car. Wanting the biggest, prettiest thing that my little eyes could see. But not able to afford it. I told myself and told myself that I would be ok with something like a Nissan Versa. Only every time I sat in one, I just kinda wanted to cry. But with the Pathfinder at over 230,000 miles, it was well past time to do something. I just no longer felt like I needed to be on the road in it as much as I am.

So, "K" really didn't have what I wanted, but he told me his Dad owns the two Landers down on Goodman Road. And since I'd been looking out at Nissan on Covington Pike, I thought what the heck. I've got two friends who have bought from there and liked it. And did I mention that "K"'s granddaddy used to own a lot in my hometown way way back in the day. I can remember Daddy buying a 1976 Pontiac Ventura from them. And he held on to that car for over a decade and gave me keys to it. So I thought it was kinda like giving business to friends, if I could.

But I know I can't make a deal. I am so not good at dealing with myself. So I had Ruby Haired Princess drop me off there on the way home from work, and I asked Bubbles (the bankruptcy attorney) to meet me there. When I got there, she had a found a Versa that DID NOT EVEN HAVE A RADIO and it had CRANK WINDOWS! Who knew they made cars with a roll up window anymore? And without a radio? Come on, please. So the salesman steered us towards a pre-owned Dodge that was probably the size of a Sentra. Nice 4 door sedan. With all the accoutrements that he knew I wanted. Poor fella had to sell to two of us at a time. From there, we went to a pre owned, one owner Nissan Sentra. 18,000 miles. Shiny brick red.

So that's when "the manager" stepped in to wheel and deal. Bubbles flat told him I needed a note at a specific amount a month, and she would not finance it crazy long. She told him that she had to know if something happened, I could make the note. He said, "I've got a Versa for you." She said, "He's already turned that down." (Well, come on. It didn't even have a radio!)

So he went away and came back and said he would give more on my trade-in sight-unseen, if I would drop the gap insurance and add six more months on the note. Then he acted all mad because I hadn't driven it yet. The sales guy said the manager gets mad if he's dealing and you haven't driven it. So we went to drive it.

I had this vision of my friend Michelle. Right out of college she bought a jeep and laughed because she got in it and squeeled "DADDY! I LOVE IT!" and her daddy said, "You're not supposed to say that in front of the salesman." I got in this shiny red Sentra, cranked it up and said, "Bubbles, you've got a problem. I LOVE THIS CAR!"

So a little bit later, I've signed all the documents. The next morning I drove down with the Pathfinder and got the Sentra. I had to give them $13 because I could not find the title. I swore I never got it. Then I said if I had it, it's in the glovebox. Both the finance guy and Bubbles both about jumped. (Who knew you could forge ownership of a car with the title, were it stolen with the title in the glove box?) But turns out I don't have it.

So anyway. I have my shiny red car. And I really, really like it!

No comments: