Saturday, March 12, 2011

Star Trek

Sissy and I have a friendship that stretches back to our hometown, and is also firmly in the today and now. We share a love of many things - movie dates, a shared Mamaw, and probably most importantly - Star Trek.*

There was a time when Sissy and I were both avid readers of the Star Trek paper back novels, predominantly the original series, but also the New Generation. We would swap books, and read them, and discuss them as if we had read fine literature translated from Greek and Roman.

We share in excitement when new Star Trek things come out. To this day, I am still deeply upset because her Mother, who I know loves me, bought for her and some boyfriend Christmas presents of the newly released 1991 Hallmark ornament of the Star Trek Enterprise.

Did you read what I wrote? A boyfriend? A boyfriend? Somehow I had missed the ornament in stores, but I did not fail to miss that both Sissy and her boyfriend received one.

Completely sold out, the ornaments were, and now even used ones sell on ebay for seventy dollars. I'm not bitter. But that boyfriend was not even Kitten, our beloved husband. He's some guy that I can't even recall clearly for the thought of HIM owning what clearly should have been MINE.

But as happens so often in my blogs, the Hallmark ornament was not the original point of this writing.

I was setting up the situation of my shared love of Star Trek with Sissy, and deep regard for most anything Star Trek.**

* Most recently we have added the Harry Dresden series of books to our mutual love.

** I admit that I finally couldn't hold interest in the last seasons of DS9 or Voyager.

1 comment:

Noodle said...

I did not get an ornament. Only Former Boyfriend did. I'm trying to con him into giving it to me, but I've had no success. I'm guessing that Former Girlfriend status isn't worth much in the convincing area.