Thursday, November 17, 2011

Honey Buns

My brother just posted pictures on his FB of him with my nephews deer hunting. One caption reads, "Probably not a deer within 10 miles but he's happy." All dressed in camo and orange. In one picture I can see the ladder to a deer stand.

And I couldn't help but smile.

I can remember Dad taking us deer hunting. It was completely wasted on me. I think that, as an adult, I could and would enjoy it more now than I ever did as a kid. As a kid, it was cold (or one trip it was unusually warm and mosquito filled) and dark, and I didn't care much for it at all. What I can remember most is my Dad once lit a fire and heated store bought honey buns over the fire for us. Though I can't remember how he heated them, I'm sure he did.

As an adult, I realize that the smoke from the fire probably made sure there wasn't a deer within 10 miles, and certainly not a one going to come near the smell of smoke.

It's odd the things that I think I would enjoy as an adult for which I cared not so much as a child - deer hunting being just one of them. And now my Dad doesn't participate in them anymore.

So I'm glad my brother has 2 sons that are beaming from ear to ear to be with him while deer hunting.

No comments: