Thursday, November 6, 2008

Now that the election is over,

My fellow Americans: Now that the election is over, I must face the reality that my dream to be President probably will not come to fruition. (I love that word, "fruition.") In doing so, I realize that I will never see my dream of having Rob Lowe look at a pager that says "POTUS" and leave his date with a hooker to rush to my office. (I just loved West Wing!).


But I believe and recognize and have faith (when applicable) in the following:


The time of "public service" has long since given way to the time of politicians. The age of the internet and 24 hour news channels has changed us from a time of information to a time of minutiae masquerading as information.


Both of the major candidates are U.S. citizens who, to the best of their ability, want to serve the country. Neither man is an angel, nor a demon. Neither is without fault and neither is without merit. This position of humanity will likely follow them all the days of their lives, whether President or not.


The position of President is "of the United States" not "of the Democrats" or "of the Republicans." In what is the most divisive presidential election of our time, it is my hope that both Senators, when the race is over, will unite to work for the people.


I wish that I could be a conservative Republican. I wish it with all my heart. I'm afraid I'm just more open minded than most of their policies. Many times I agree with what they say, but not with what the reality of life as I see it, or what I perceive to be the spirit in which they say it.


I believe that abortion is murder. But I know that repealing Roe V Wade won't stop abortion. I admire the people who stand on the corner of Union Avenue every day with signs to stop abortion. But I wonder if they couldn't better spend their time working with programs to educate young men and women about the realities of sexual practices and the potential consequences.


I believe in the sanctity of marriage. But I believe people who claim to care about the sanctity of marriage do very little to reduce divorce rates.


I believe that people have the right to disagree about equal rights and marriage rights for all. But I don't understand why they take such steps to withhold from others, instead of just disagreeing and letting others live their lives in their own positive, life affirming ways. Mostly I don't understand how one group of adult, tax-paying citizens think they should withhold something from another group of adult, tax-paying citizens.


I believe that the ugly side of human nature has, for centuries, included war. I believe the "good side" fights the "bad side." But I believe that sometimes you lose your way, and it's hard to tell the good from the bad.


I believe that social welfare programs are sometimes necessary to keep good people from starving. I believe that, at any given time, most working Americans are just a few missed paychecks away from needing the assistance of those programs to provide for themselves and their families. But many people abuse them.


I believe that illegal immigration is a problem. But I don't have a problem with immigration or immigrants. With very few exceptions, most of us are descended from immigrants. Most of the immigrants I know work in physically laborious jobs, much harder than any job I've ever held, and work 7 days a week.


I believe "rich" people should pay at least in percentage as much tax as "poor" people. I believe the trickle down theory is a sham. I don't think "rich" should pay more because they're rich. I just don't think they should pay less.


I believe in G-d, Jesus, and a Holy Trinity. I believe "in God we trust." I'm just realistic enough to know that with so many different churches, beliefs and branches of belief, that your idea of what He wants and mine often differ. I respect your belief, whether I agree or not. I hope you respect mine. I promise not to try and take away your right to your belief, and hope you do the same.


I believe I am a patriotic American. I believe you can be a patriotic American citizen and still disagree with me.


I now ask for your support as I consider my candidacy for 2012.

No comments: