Saturday, January 17, 2009

We've only just begun*

Tomorrow, at roughly 5p.m., I will have known MyFella for 3 years. That's a record for me. Oh, I once dated a guy over the span of four calendar years. Yeah, we broke up every 3 months (sometimes made it 4), would go four months without a word to each other then start again - for FOUR SOLID YEARS. But, ah, focusing on the topic at hand -

Three. Solid. Years.
With. MyFella.

No break-ups. No (almost no) drama fights. Very few "heated" or "passionate" disagreements. (the worst one was over my cousin in Iraq and some very pro-Bush statements that led us to the decision that we need not discuss the concept of 'patriotism' again) . . . but back to the positive

MyFella. With him. For Three. Solid. Years.

Come five o'clock tomorrow.

It's not really a date we recognize or make a big deal out of. We can really only track it by going to a calendar 3 years old and figuring out which day he was in town for a meeting. The day I took off work early to go and meet him face to face for supper.

So anyway. We have that day. Then sometime in March that same year we talked about exclusivity. Then sometime in August we said the four letter word. And if I go back to an old cell phone that I keep in my car mainly only because it has that date in it, I can find the date we said that word. (and tell you roughly when moments later I was calling my bestest gal in the whole wide world, "G" to tell her ALL ABOUT IT."

So anyway. Even though we don't anniversarize it (I just made that word up) I have for him a very modest basket with some of his favorite snacks in it. Pumpkin seeds, peanuts, sugar free chocolate candy. He'll like it and be surprised.

And I like that we've completed three years and counting. Makes me feel like singing a Karen Carpenter song. . . .


*Disclaimer. I am really NOT a Karen Carpenter fan. And I hate extra-mushy crap. Unfortunately (and I may have discussed this before) I tend to think in terms of songs and quotes a lot. It's some sort of ocd condition I can't seem to break. This post was originally titled 4.0, like a version of software or something. But the song lyric went into override in my head. Ugh!

No comments: