Monday, October 12, 2009

Angola Prison Rodeo

So several months back, a friend of mine found a magazine article about a prison rodeo in Angola, Louisiana. It's like the 45th year, and it happens every Sunday in October. There's an outdoor arena that seats like 7,000 and has an inmate hobby crafts fair.

So guess where I went this weekend? Yep - Angola!

So it was to be a friends weekend, but I wanted to do a little more. So I talked MyFella into going with me to see my favorite aunt and uncle. So we were kind of close-ish down there. Sunday morning the whole gang is up and on the way to Angola.

Rain or shine. No cameras or cell phones. And I hate that!

Oh, there came such a rain on our way as you have not seen. Rain just pouring down in sheets. Rain, rain, rain. And us way out in Louisiana.

But we make it - and it's everything we hoped it would be.

Except our seats sucked. They didn't just suck, they were lousy. About one inch away from just beng a scam they called seats. If you call and they tell you all they have left is "ground" that means with a effin hand railing in your face. And by in your face, I mean you can choose to have it at your nose, or lean under it and have it at the back of your head. Scam. But we paid for them and there we were.

Of course MyFella could hang upside down to watch a rodeo. And watch he did. Every minute of it. I really spent most of my time looking at the prisoners ~ uh ~ I mean the crafts. But we both had a good time.

We did learn that Angola, Louisiana is a long, long way from home. And it's best to just plan to spend the night somewhere. Because you're late getting out of there and it's awfully dark. And a long way from home.

But it's definitely something we would do again.

No comments: