Sunday, March 14, 2010

Weekend Off

You know MyFella and I live about 2 hours apart. So most every weekend one of us has to drive the trip, 4 hours round trip. But it's not a bad drive really. There is one way from house to house, and another way if I'm headed to/from work, which is about 40 miles South of where I live.

So usually early in the week we start talking about it, if we don't have plans already that necessitate a particular location, his or mine. Sometimes it's as simple as who wants to be where? Do I feel like a weekend in the country? Or it's as simple as a friend or family member having a birthday party, so the other comes in for it. No big deal, we've gotten accustomed to it.

In the beginning of our relationship, he would make the drive. That was before I met any of his family. He probably came every other weekend. Then once I had been up there, we started the negotiating. Once, after his father had been ill, I drove up there 5 times in a row because his father was too weak to feed the horses, throwing the hay out. Then one morning I saw his father in the garden pushing the electric tiller. I told MyFella, "Uh. I think your dad's scamming you. If he can push that electric tiller, he can throw a hay bale down."

But still, it's "all good" and it's just what we have to do to be who we are to each other.

Some weekends we used to negotiate as "off" just to save on gas and such. Maybe we both had things to do in our respective towns or whatever. So we'd schedule an off weekend. We haven't had one lately, but this weekend we scheduled one.

I slept late, went to a discussion at church, went to a big Expo with a friend, had dinner with some other good friends, which was over due. This morning I enjoyed the church service tremendously, and had an adventurous lunch date with friends at a place we'd never been before. I came home and played with some potted flowers, cleaned in the kitchen and such and did some around the house odds and ends that were on my "get to" list. All in all, a very enjoyable weekend.

Very enjoyable. And almost every single item was something I could not have done if I'd gone his way, or probably would not have done if he'd come my way.

And yet, I still wish we had been together.

Sappy and sentimental? Yeah. Why not.

No comments: