Friday, September 17, 2010

Experiential

I hope that's how you spell the word.

With my birthday up and coming, I decided it was time to begin the celebration. Since I'm 40 going on 41, and since many of my friends have left the area, and since MyFella and I have to manage our time on the weekends, you have to make life. . . you know?

So first I called on old friend, we'll call him (former) Car Salesman John, turned New and Improved John. I told him I wanted to have lunch, and then go to a barber shop for a barber shop shave.

We settled on quite possibly the world's best pub grub that is around the corner from my home of 10 years (yes, I still miss that place) and I had the steak po boy. It was actual beef steak of some type. I struggled with my habit of ordering the chicken salad, which is always good stuff. The po-boy was a good choice. But I digress ~

John knew just the barber shop for an old school style shave. Four old men and the smell of blue liquid and talcum powder with a plastic box of SuperBubble on the counter. During my encounter, I asked the man about the shop and he said it had been there for 50 years, he'd only worked there for 7. Then he listed the other locations he had worked at, and they span a distance of time longer than my life.

The experience was very much like seen with Floyd, and I was absolutely sure that there would be a straight edged razor in my near future. There were hot towels and hot shaving cream and a close shave. I was disappointed that he used a Gillette Mach 3. I mean, I, uh, honestly, have that in my bathroom. However, one time I opened my eyes and got a close up view of the barber's arm. It was perhaps a safer option for everyone that he used a Mach 3. Aside from the use of a disposable razor, the experience was everything I hoped it would be, and it was shared with a good friend (who opted for the cut and shave).

I guess if I want one with a straight edged razor blade, I'm gonna have to look for a barber shop with younger barbers, who can still hold a razor like that. But I wonder, does the world still make barbers? Is that a dieing breed, or something that can be found? I don't know.

But on the whole, it was worth $15. And a fun way to start my birthday off.

No comments: