Friday, September 17, 2010

Thunderbirds vs Eagles

Tuesday I went and spent the day in my hometown, and while it didn't seem hectic, it actually was a day of here, to here, to here. By my own choosing, of course.

First, lunch with my Mamaw (who loves me the most), and I picked it up at The Corner Market. So named, as it apt to happen in small towns, because it's on the corner of two streets. 7th and . . . something, I forget what. In all of my life living there, I was probably never in the Corner Market, but it's new my favorite place. Noodle told me that blue collar workers in the area will stand around their trucks eating their lunch and talking to each other. In addition to a great menu of sandwiches, they also make a hot lunch. On Tuesday the choices were rib tips, saulsberry steak (which I have never understood) and chicken & rice (one dish, instead of an entree with a side, casserole style). For Mamaw, I chose chicken & rice, green beans, corn and cornbread. Yes, she's a diabetic and only later did I realize the full-blown-carb-impact of my choices. Oh well.

Mamaw and I enjoyed a nice lunch together and she's feeling much better. She lamented the horrible treatment of her children who take everything nice (leafy vegetables because the home health nurse said not to while her sore is healing ~ i don't understand that one) and her ice cream bars. I called Noodle to ask about the ice cream, as Mamaw was very disturbed. She said something like, "She's eating 3 a day and even though they are low sugar, they still have sugar." I said, "Well, her version sounds better than '3 a day.'" Noodle, "What's her version?" Me, "One after each meal." You gotta admit, it has a more reasonable tone to it.

So after a very pleasant lunch with Mamaw and a brief, yet enjoyable visit with Uncle K, I made my way to the next part of the day: Picking up my two nephews from school. The 5 year old seemed only slightly pleased to see me, but the 5th grader hopped right in asking, "Where's my bookbag?" Because you know if something can't be found for that chile* I will scour the Mid-South to find it, and I produced a rolling book bag. **

Then I managed to sneak in a short visit with E, who I almost never get to see. *** That was a short visit, but I'm always glad to see him.

And my Moma cooked supper for me. She has this way of making hamburger patties, I can't quite describe it. But it's her way, and I love it.

But anyhow, the main point of the day was the Pee Wee Football game. This year my nephew is in the 5th grade and got a lot of good play time on the field. The weather was perfect with a break in the heat and decent Fall weather. And a favorite of me was the location of the game.

You see, in my youth, to my perception, private school kids were snotty. I had no friends there, and didn't care to. And even today, the thought of that school makes my nose turn up just a little bit (holding on to something from my youth, perhaps, a little too strongly?). It irks me that the public school system is so bad, so unsafe, that the best choice for my nephew is to attend that school. But there he is, just the same, a T-bird.

And then there's the Eagles. . . . somewhere lost in history . . way way back in 1987, I attended Prom there with my best friend**** It was a double date with her best friend, and drives to parts of the county that I had never visited prior. It was one of the most fun nights of my entire 18 years. And quite simply because of that, I just have a fondness for the school. A few weeks later, I attended her graduation, and then years later I began picking up the B children (of which E is one) in the afternoon and then on to their eventual graduations. So amongst my left over teenage angst for small town private schools, I have a fondness for that one, based on a few experiences there.

(Probably has something to do with white people's love of exclusivity, as seen recently on the website of 'Stuff White People Like')

So, I had called and texted the girl from that night and asked her to meet us there, since her alma mater (the Pee Wee sect anyway) was playing against my nephew and my Mom would love to see her. But she stood me up. I did get in a visit with the lady that did her that night so many years ago. And spent more than a few minutes checking out some guy that my brother and his wife know. Mr. Tony, they called him. . . . Oh, I could . . .well, never mind, I digress. . .

So the T-Birds lost the Eagles, and I didn't get to see my former. . . whatever she is to me. . . but I had a great day. . . in a land so far away . . .

*Yes, I spelled it that way on purpose.
**The satchel he was carrying hung near to the ground on his tiny frame.
***And I hate to admit is hotter than a pawn shop pistol when he's really my younger cousin type entity. But since he's in his 20's and a veteran, it's not completely pervy. It's more circumstantial. I mean, I didn't make him hot. He just is.
****A relationship that to this day still confuses me and I can't quite describe. That would take a whole blog of it's own. And some serious couch time with a professional.

No comments: