Monday, January 31, 2011

The adventure, the experience. . .

I hope in the blogs below, I did a good job of capturing the experience that I shared with my friend, without encroaching on the private matter.

I've felt, many times, that there are some cultural differences between blacks and whites, and they often serve to show us how alike we are, not how different.

Much of my experience had as much to do with the Delta in the South - a place where you can still find a shanty of a house on a dirt road, with children playing in the dust up of a yard. It's the same house that has a DirecTV dish attached to the side. Somehow, the family can't afford a better home, but they have satellite t.v.

I hope my words captured some of the beauty of the service, and some of the humor, and some of the sorrow. Mississippi Highway 61 is a very long road, and this church could be anywhere along it. So I feel the family is quite anonymous in this aspect.

Should your life find you driving down an odd highway that has been there as long as the land has been called a State in the Union, keep your eyes open. There's no telling what you might see.

No comments: