Monday, February 18, 2008

Once, we were the best of friends.



It seems like "a long long time ago in a galaxy far far away" but we were great pals and running buddies. They were a couple of years younger than me, and I hung around a year or two after high school attending the local community college. So our friendship continued for quite a while. The last time I saw either of them was 8 years ago when one got married. Somehow, after driving all the way to the wedding, we just all got tied up in our own lives after that and just sort of never talked. One is married and living in Dallas, the other just recently got his Ph.D. and went way out West for a job in academia.

The other night before my trip, I remembered the ones that lived in Texas and sent the wife a message through myspace. We hooked up for lunch the day I left, they picked me up and went to the Cheesecake Factory.* I regretted not taking a photo of us, but I didn't. They told me the other had asked about me just that week. All of us are doing good, living our lives and going on about it in . . . . I suppose something similar to the way we thought we would. Maybe.

Oh well. It was great to see them again. Since I didn't take a picture the other day, I dug out these old ones, in tribute.




* The Cheesecake Factory is misnamed, I think. The restaurant was absolutely beautiful.

In the photo of 3 of us posing, I'm the guy in the middle. In the other, I'm the one with the cheesy grin for the camera.

No comments: