Sunday, April 22, 2007

Gather Children Like Olives Around Your Table

I was at a baby shower yesterday (don't ask me, I'm not sure how I got that lucky) and at the end of the party, the preacher's wife said:

In a tone very authoritative, charismatic, religious:
"I believe that children are a gift from god.
The bible tells us to gather children around our table like olives.
And at the Holy Church of the Loving God we are blessed to have many children at our table."

Then she changed tones and said,
"I don't believe we have to HAVE them all, we just have to gather them! Now I got to go, and to those of you in my church, I will see you tomorrow at the Holy Church of the Loving God
and she grabbed a styrofoam plate covered with food, wrapped in aluminum foil, and was out the door.


I have thought on that a lot since yesterday afternoon, and I think my life is summed up nicely by that verse. If my life is a table, I have gathered children like olives. I have two beautiful blood nephews, I have shared over 20 years of life with my four adopted cousins, I have Spyder & Sass, I have spent much time with G's & D's boys, I enjoy my time with so many children whose parents allow me to be a part of their lives. I have one "nephew" who tells people "I have 3 Uncle Mike's, but this is the only one that takes me places." I have gathered children like olive plants around my table. But like the preacher's wife said, I didn't have to HAVE them. Thankfully, I can send every last one of them back to their parents when times up!



Version: KJVPsa 128:3Thy wife [shall be] as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table.

No comments: