Saturday, April 28, 2007

Olives Gathered

These chirren. I've spent the better part of the week, into tomorrow still, house & child over seeing for a friend of mine. The chirren are 13 and 11.

Yesterday the girl, 13, called to tell me she's going to a carnival in town with friends. I said, "Are you asking me or telling me?" "Telling you. I already talked to Mom." "Well OK then." A few minutes later on the phone, the Mom said, "That girl doesn't even have $20. She wants me to borrow it from you for her, and pay you back when I get back in town."

So the 13 year old with a touch of diva "tells me" she's going somewhere, which of course requires me to take her, and pick up her two friends on the way, and wait up to pick them up, but forgets she has to ask me for her going money.

A few nights ago I was talking with them at the supper table, and the 13 year old kept reaching over acting like she would hit her brother's head. I said, "If you grew an afro like most black boys, it wouldn't hurt so much." He said, "Those are ugly!" The girl said, "We're very lucky to live like we do. Some of the kids at school say "Why don't you dress black?" and I'm like, "uh - maybe I LIKE white clothes."

I tell ya - the more I am around these children, the more I realize how doubly blessed I am - blessed to have them in my life, and blessed that they're not mine!

No comments: