Friday, March 21, 2008

Maundy Thursday

In the Baptist religions of my upbringing, the texts of the last supper and the Garden of Gethsemane were somehow read Sunday the week before, as some milestone that had to be crossed in order to get to next Sunday when you could wear the new clothes your parents had bought.

As the Easter season came upon us this year, I was intrigued by the idea of services that focused specifically on the time just before the crucifixion.

I was a little put off by the idea of a mass foot washing, but the lady who makes the announcements suggested with a smile we "get over it." So, I went to Maundy Thursday services.

The only way to explain it is a poor explanation: The intent of the service was to experience the humble action of washing another's feet. The focus of the service was not on the experience. I don't know if I can explain it. There were 3 stations and a small crowd, and an orderly method of taking turns. So for an hour long service, the foot washing was just a small portion of the service.

It was a beautiful service. Beautiful in song, and in the lay readers reading of the passages. It was nice the way they organized chairs in a section of the auditorium, so the people attending had a more intimate setting.

I think I like this way of observing the days that led up to Easter, of recognizing what was going on before jumping up on Easter day with chocolate bunnies.

No comments: