Saturday, April 19, 2008

A death at a funeral

In just a little bit, Noodle, Skeeter, Sass & Spyder will be over for funeral-movie night. It's an idea I stole from a friend who had movie night with Sordid Lives. We're doing it with A Death at a Funeral. The only rule is you serve/bring food that you would take to a home for a funeral. According to your regional language slang, it's "pot luck" or "bring a dish." My friend Red calls it "drag a dish."

I've got on the menu:

Sweet tea. (even with the advances of diabetes and obesity, you still wouldn't take unsweet tea to a home of the bereaved)
Chicken spaghetti
Green bean casserole.

The chicken spaghetti is not my Mother's recipe. I tried to reach her today. My Dad said "She's not here. She's gone to W-M." I said, "Did she take the cell?" (because they share one) and he said "No, it's on her desk at work. Maybe I can help you." "I need her recipe for chicken spaghetti." "No, I can't help you." So I found a couple of recipes on the internet and loosely matched one. Very loosely. It could be a hot mess o' cheesy chicken noodles for all I know.
a
aghh[]

Those comments are courtesy of MyFella's little brother, Jamie. As I was saying, I have never before made green bean casserole or ad hoc made chicken spaghetti. I know my Mom has a real good recipe that calls for actually cooking a chicken!

Ah, they're here. Catch you later.

later . . .
Party's over and I think everyone had a good time. Jamie was a grumbly grouch and I think he upset the Urchins some. He's usually very social.

The movie is quite funny, very enjoyable. We'll rate it pretty high on Netflix.

Noodle brought Sister Schubert rolls with the little weenies in them. I didn't even know they existed! They're wonderful! And she made rice krispy treats ~ wonderful!

Oh - for cheatin' fast chicken rotel.

About 16 ounces of dried noodles, boiled up and ready. (I used two packages left over from something else, so I had two different kinds of noodles)
Half a block of two pounds of Velveeta (yeah, that's just one pound)
One can of cream of onion soup (save a couple of big spoon fulls for next recipe)
Two cans of regular rotel (one just didn't give it enough flavor)
Three of the large cans of chunk chicken. (I told you this was cheating)
I boiled the noodles (MyFella did) separately. We threw everything else in the crock pot like we were making rotel cheese for chips. When it all got melted, threw in the noodles. There you go.

Green Bean Casserole
Two cans of green beans, just sort of dumped in the dish and spooned around.
In a separate container, add a glug of soy sauce, a palm full of dried onions, and a couple of good spoon fulls of cream of onion soup from the above recipe, half a cup of milk and a can of cream of mushroom soup (which is icky thick so you need a bowl to stir it all up in and remember the cheating part? recipe calls for you to sautee a medium sized onion. I just didn't have one or time for it, so I borrowed the cream of onion idea from a recipe Noodle did earlier this week).
Pour it all over the green beans. Pour in a half a cup of French's fried onions and use spoon to just turn it over and mix them in. Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes then add some more onions on the top.

Rent yourself a good funeral movie (see above) and have fun!

-------------

P.S. If you don't do like I did and walk in your house one hour before company comes, I strongly recommend using chicken breasts instead of canned chicken. It's do-able in a pinch. But I think better chicken would of made a good difference.
_______________________

No comments: