Sunday, April 20, 2008

"You're still the one"

You're still the one -- I want to talk to in bed
Still the one -- that turns my head
We're still having fun, and you're still the one

Anybody remember that song from Orleans in 1975? If I remember it right, the local Channel 13 used it in their commercials that year, or a year sometime soon. In '75, I would of been six? Seven? That's consistent with the emotion it draws up for me, the sound of the t.v., the feel of neighborhood nights and playing, being called in at dark.

Sunday nights often bring back that odd sort of emotion. "Is all my homework done?" "What time do I need to go to bed tonight?" "But I've had such a good weekend, I don't want it to end." My dad used to say "Six o'clock comes early, son." It would always annoy me, but what annoyed me the most was that he was right. I hear it all the time in my head when I'm doing that thing I do - procrastinating, putting bed off. Puttering around. Flipping channels and now surfing for that one last post or Myspace message. I even tell myself "Six o'clock comes early" in a sort of humorous homage to him. Gosh, he always went to bed early. I think his shift started at 8a.m. and he's one of those morning sit and drink coffee guys. Still does. (thankfully Dad is still very much alive ).

So it's after 9p.m. now. I've got two big meetings tomorrow and one is at 9a.m. I intended to do a couple more things around the house before bed, but I let the computer take up my time. But it's all stuff that will still be here tomorrow. Besides, it was for a good cause ~ I scanned some old photo's and sent to some friends, for the fun of it. Photo's from high school years. Things I think they'll appreciate.

But I still sometimes miss summer nights in my cul de sac neighborhood. And I still feel, not so much Monday morning sneaking in on me, as Saturday & Sunday slipping away. And I still think Channel 13 has never had a better jingle than "You're still the one."

1 comment:

piper said...

Darling, this was such a delightful read!

I think it's springtime, that's what evokes childhood memories for me.

Love, love!