Tuesday, May 15, 2007

The Rain


The rain comes down, hard and fast, but not soon enough to explain my refusal to go to a job fair. I think in the end, I just didn't - I didn't want to be unemployed, I didn't want to go out there and look unemployed, I didn't want to look at all those employers behind a six foot banquet table who really just wanted a day out of work or were looking for either a brand new college graduate or a fry cook. So I just didn't.


And now comes the rain. Too hard to go out into for any decent reason. but not soon enough to use as part of my excuse for not going.


On a positive note, I spent Saturday afternoon with my Mom & Dad, who came to town to run a few errands. We met at a Steak & Shake for lunch. The food was good. I would tell you about the service, if we'd had any. I first drove them to a cowboy supply store where I told one of the young ladies, "Go flirt with him. He's wanting to buy boots" and $100 later, he's got a brand new pair of Justin black cowboy boots. It was a nice afternoon with Mom & Dad, and Dad was in a good mood for most of the day.



Yesterday was Spyder's birthday, and I'm glad Sissy called and reminded me. She allowed me to invite myself to his birthday dinner. Sometimes I think that child is so much like me, there must be some genetic connection, or perhaps environmental sway. Others, he is just his father's child - too too something. . . . something . . . to be anything but his father's child. Sissy reports he woke up early, to get a start on celebrating his birthday. That's definitely me in Junior. He wanted pancakes from Cracker Barrel. Not exactly me, but I do enjoy a good breakfast for supper.


Upon receiving his birthday card from me with ten dollars, he promptly held it to the light to see if it is counterfeit. THAT would be his Daddy's civil engineering side coming out. Just because somebody gave you a ten spot doesn't mean it's a ten spot - check it. His mother giggled and faux-scolded him, telling him he didn't have to check money from me, and he just replied, "You can't be too careful." It really was funny.


On the sweet side, he walked up to me in the parking lot and said, "Give me a hug."


In his honor, I ordered Moma's Pancake Platter - with 2 eggs and sausage. His Dad ordered a fried plethora of breakfast goodies, his Mom ordered a 4 vegetables plate, and his little sister had pancakes too.


All in all, a very nice birthday dinner.

No comments: