Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Viral Emails

You know that horrible phrase where you say something like "Arguing over X is" . . . ."is like running in the special olympics. You might win, but you're still retarded."

That's how I felt yesterday. Lately I've gotten so balled up over receiving those mass forwarded, viral emails, that I've gone nuts with long diatribe replies. Built arguments in my head, framed them around phrases, contemplated words, and sent them off. And ticked off a couple of three people that . . .well, you know, it just didn't really matter all that much.

One of them even phrased it thinking I would realize she was asking me (or someone) to double check it on snopes because snopes is blocked at her work site. I didn't read that into it, so I just let loose.

I really do wish people would check on snopes or factorfiction or something first. I think if you don't, you run the risk of just telling lies and taking part in hate. But if they don't, I need to take a breath and calm down before ripping out emails.

Calm is my mantra today. Oh, and I'm going to try and not go to that group at all today. I need a self imposed day off. I made some apologies last night. Hope that's enough.

On a related note, I've about decided that those viral emails probably weren't written by anyone for or against a candidate. I think they were probably written by the same type of people who write viruses and send them out. They just want to stir up drama in people like I did. It's just viral and ugly.

No comments: