Wednesday, July 11, 2007

General Blog

2nd day of orientation. Today focused on things that are important, yet typical, in the gaming industry. Responsible gaming awareness, safety of children, emphasis on customer service, etc. The lady did her best, but it's just not an exciting list of topics and her voice is kind of really squeally (that rhymes 'really squeally'). Tomorrow is the third & last day of orientation, allowing all of us to finally begin our journey into our jobs.

I've been by my office area and met some of my staff, one of whom, the department supervisor, is someone I have known for about six + years now, and I am really looking forward to working with her. I think there's some really good stuff I can introduce her to, and if she is interested in continuing a career in that department, I think given a year, I can really help her out, and hopefully find a promotion of my own, leaving her better prepared for a promotion. Having worked with both her & her mom in previous jobs, I think we have a strong relationship already built.

After getting up whenever I want to for the last six months, this six a.m. thing is a kick in the patootie. I'm so struggling with consciousness by 10pm at night.

My Fella is coming to town Friday and planning on staying into Sunday. We are planning to make very few, if any plans. I think his father's episode with the snake bite last week has really just mentally & physically exhausted him, as it came right on the heels of the uncle's prolonged hospital stay and death. I didn't blog it last week, due to an absence of computer access, but My Fella's dad was picking cucumbers when a copperhead bit him. The way I hear it, his dad kicked the snake, then carries it up to the chicken coop and killed it, then put his already-picked cucumbers under the garage before he called for help. The problem was, he had an issue with his blood pressure dropping, then he had a horrible reaction to the first dose of the anti-venom, so the hospital pumped him full of Benadryl to take care of that reaction,then shipped him off to a second hospital. What "they say" is that, on the scale of bad-venom-ness, a copperhead is on the lower end, and it was more risk than it was worth to give him the second stage dose of anti-venom.

Anyway, My Fella is coming to me, sans any one else, and we are both looking forward to the visit.

Sissy is in there cooking what smells like a delish supper, complete with fried green tomatoes. And mashed potatoes, made with real potatoes. Her Dad is in the hospital again, so I've got to get some dried apples. He really likes them, and they're not so easy to find in the grocery stores here. I think I noticed some in the Schnucks the other day, but usually I can only find them in a W-M that's halfway between here & My Fella's, and that's a good 50 miles away. May have to get him to stop in there and get a few bags on his way in this weekend.

That's about all for tonight. Kitten & Sissy are good about letting me stop in here on my way home. And tonight's bonus is I'll get to snag some fried green tomatoes.

A note to Brenda, not the preacher's wife, who reminds me of my friend Melanie, thanks for your donation of black eyed peas to tonight's dinner. Yummy.

A hello to Piper, back from her trip. I, too, am suffering from lack-of-computerness at home. aaagghhh!

Word of the night: "Slaveage" or "Slavage" , pronounced slave-age. As in a discussion about the "wildly popular young wizard stories" . . . . . "was it about the elf slavage?" Uh, slavery? I said, give him a point for a unique word. I liked slavage.

No comments: