Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Thinking in video

Sissy was talking to me the other day about a cartoon she was looking for, and had finally found. Well, to clarify, she had found a clip of it on youtube and was trying to figure out what it was, knowing that I loved super hero & science fiction cartoons as a child, she intended to ask me, but found it on her own - Thundarr the Barbaraian. In a subsequent phone call she described it to me and I was like, "Yep, that was Thundarr." What I didn't tell her was that, in the ways I sometimes think in video, I think of Ariel, his princess/sorcerer sidekick.



It's odd, let me give you an example.



At bunco, every time someone counts their rolls, "One, two, three" I have an overwhelming urge to say, "Three. three licks to get to the center of a tootise roll pop."


If someone I know is making some comment to me, and I want to reply, "WELL!" I hear the voice of Samantha on "Bewitched" saying, "WELL!" to Darrin Stephens.

Last night I walked into a bathroom to pee and staring down at the tile floor, I thought of Nagiana saying in Rikki Tikki Tavvi, "If you move, I will ssssssstrike. If you do not move, I will sssssssstrike."



And a lot of times when I am stretching/yawning, I raise both arms and realize that I am envisioning Ariel placing her hands together above her head to do her magic.

The problem is, these are just three examples, and I go through this all day long. In random, ordinary conversations, people say things that remind me of specific television shows or movies, and I just have to fight the urge to reply. Kind of silly, but there it is.

Excuse me, I have to stretch now. WELL!

No comments: