Sunday, January 6, 2008

Adventure

"Let's go in there. It'll be an adventure" he said. Just moments after eating lunch at our favorite-est dim sum place, we walked into the Asian grocer store next door. And it was an adventure. If you walk on in past the display at the front door, the old fish smell isn't as over powering. And then you can have tons of fun walking up and down the aisles, reading the names on all of the containers. Part of the surprise was in finding the Mexican aisle (yeah to the owners for realizing they are now surrounded by apartments filled with illegal immigrants of a South American descent) and the aisle filled with Danish and German cookies (I have no idea. But swear to you, they had tins of those cookies everyone gets at Christmas along with an odd assortment of other Germanic labeled sweet treats). There was the corner in the back, right out of a Dickens novel, with a cooked goose hanging. There was the open air freezer section with plastic bins filled with . . . . I don't know what, covered in water. But my favorite? The live water food section. I so wanted to get a picture of the older black woman and the two young Asian girls using tongs to grab blue crabs out of plastic bins and dump them in paper sacks. but there was just no discreet way to do it. There were aquarium type tanks filled with a motley assortment of fish and frogs and . . . . my favorite . . . . black eels. They were totally scary and creepy and looked just like icky icky snakes in the water . . . . with no lid. I guess there's no risk of water eels getting out of the water. Maybe Asian kids learn at an early age not to put their hand near eels, I don't know. But it totally mesmerized and creeped me out at the same time.

So, of course, I took a photo with a disposable camera. I hope it comes out. Check back here in a day or two to see.

1 comment:

piper said...

I would love nothing more than to go an Asian grocery shopping adventures with you, and your fella! I know we would be b/f/f