Sunday, January 6, 2008

It's like crack, but legal.


It's like Crack, but legal. I'm walking into church this morning with one thought resounding through my head like the beat of a drum, "I need a Diet Coke." Not want, or should would like to have, but I need. I need the cold feel of the aluminum can, the pop of the top, the crisp cool feeling as the acids wash down my throat, the internal feel of the caffeine popping me. Oh, how I wanted it. (and have it with me now at 1p.m.).

From a distance, I saw my friend, a recovering alcoholic. Somedays I think she is more alcoholic than recovering, and I always speak to her and try to offer her encouragement (though I may occasionally talk about her behind her back, I do it to only a select few who also from time to time think she is more alcoholic than recovering and we collectively wish we could help her more but that's a whole other blog). . . . but back to me - so I'm looking at her from afar and thinking, "If I crave Diet Coke like this, imagine her struggle!" Oh my. It's like crack, but legal.

1 comment:

piper said...

I horribly addicted to Diet Coke too... I know it's bad... but it's the sweetest addiction. Next to getting comments from you of course, dear boy.

You are my favorite, ever. I can't not be happy, or laugh, when I read your words.

Muah!