Sunday, January 27, 2008

He loves me more!

Riding the good karma of a very good visit to my hometown and my family isn't easy. You've got to catch the wave and ride it, and I did so this weekend. I had talked with M&D about coming home Saturday but surprised them by driving up Friday night. After supper, I took one of my nephews with me when I went to visit some friends but purposefully left around 9pm so I wouldn't be too late getting home. I knew Mom would still be up and we'd sit up for a while visiting.

On Saturday morning she cooked breakfast for us, and after a quick run out to W-M, I spent a good part of the afternoon at my brother's house. It was the first time the almost-2-year-old nephew gave me any attention at all. He's somehow learned my name since Christmas, would sit in my lap and laugh and grin, and generally act adorable. Sometime around 5, we went to M&D's since brother had to go to work, and his wife needed to do some schoolwork for one of her Master's classes. Mom decided to cook some little steaks for supper, and I ran to Wendy's to get us all a baked potato and side salad (it's only a little bit of cheating, as far as "making supper" goes.) I stopped at a grocery on the way to pick up some fruit cups for my nephews and ran into a friend-girl from high school. I was in her wedding. Couldn't tell you the last time I laid eyes on her. Not sure I'd ever seen the kid with her. She has them ranging from 20 to 7. It was a nice bonus to get to see her and chat a minute.

Then just as I was leaving town, I had a text from another friend who had been in town with his wife, visiting his M&D for his M's birthday. He told me where they were going to eat, and since I was packed and headed out, I decided to make a detour.

Got there before they did, and some strange guy at the bar was talking to me like he really knew me. I had zero idea who he was but had sense enough to know that he knew me, in our small town. He offered to buy me a drink while I waited and I finally said, "So what are you doing now?" and when he said "This" tapping the bar, I knew who he was - the owner's son. Yeah, that gastric bypass surgery made a huge difference in him. We were pals years ago. I absolutely did not recognize him. About that time, my cell rang and the guy I was going there to meet said "I'm looking at you" and I said, "Well, I got tired of waiting so I'm blowing yaw off!"

I had the nicest visit with him, his wife and parents. We talked and talked and talked, caught up and carried on. His mom works with my SIL. His dad retired from the bank on the eve of his 70th birthday 3 years ago and it was good to see them both. His wife is just a doll, I really like her. It was such a powerfully good time to catch up with old friends.

Sigh. It was a very good weekend.
____________________________________________
*The title of this posting comes from my nephew's jealous statements of "nuh-uh, she loves me more!" The funny little tyke believes strongly in people's love ~ of him. And whenever I say anything like "You know your Gran is my mom. She loves me" he responds with "She loves me more!"

No comments: