Tuesday, October 23, 2007

7 Things

according to the Meme from Noodle. 7 things.

I think in phrases, constantly. Like if you walked up to me and said, "Hey, walk with me" I might immediately think "These boots are made for walking."

I count in doubles, constantly. I do it so much I often don't even think about it. I never remember the number, because I'm not trying to count quantity. I'm just looking for matches. A perfect example - you are driving down the road and see a green road sign. It has a white border and the words Church Road. I immediately think CH UR CH RO AD and if that did not come out even, say it was Dyers Road, I immediately think DY ER SR OA D-WHITEBORDERLINE and everything pairs up. The coffee table in my living room, each corner has two pieces of wood making up a leg -that's a match. There are four pieces of wood under the table - that's a match. Three pieces of wood that make the top, that's not a match. But is an even number of brass studs. I don't remember these things, I'll look at the coffee table tomorrow night too. I'll sit in this chair and envision each room in the apt and how many walls each room has.

I am a geek for things like Wonder Woman,. I have a rediculous collection of Wonder Woman stuff. Not so big as to be an obsession, but too much for an adult. There's a lunch box, a business card holder, coffee mug, etc.

One of my favorite "I'm not famous" things is "Muriel plays piano every Friday at the Hollywood, and they brought me down to see her and they asked me if I would - do a little number, so I sang with all my might. She said 'tell me are you a christian child?' and i said 'ma'am i am tonight." Muriel also played piano every Sunday at the Holiday Inn, and she had a piano in her classroom. But she wasn't my teacher, I was in a class down the hall. But I could hear the piano playing. Little did I or anyone know that years later she would be immortalized in that song, or that something called a computer would have a blog, and I would write about her. I tried to look her up on Wikipedia once, alas, there is no page. Surely she deserves one. But I know too little about her to make it.

My Fella hates most of my furniture, and most of it came from a great grandmother. My bedframe is wrought iron that she gave me, I have a cedar chest and a cedar robe from her. In my bedroom is a vanity that came from her daughter, my grandmother, and in my living room is a coffee table (mentioned) and a chest from her as well. There is a rocking chair in my living room that we had refinished, I am pretty sure was at my great grandmother's. I woldn't say any of it is really antique, it's just old, and it was theirs, and I love it. (Well, I don't love the coffee table, but I can't seem to get rid of it.) It all may well create a falling out if/when we someday join households. But since he just hung up old cheese graters as decorations in his kitchen, because they belonged to his grandmother, surely he can understand.

Memberships: I was a charter member of a Rotary club about 12 years ago. I think I was the first secretary the club elected. I was an active and supportive member for several years. I am now rejoining.

Memberships: In high school, I was a member of a fraternity. It was the local chapter of a national organization. My last google search for any references turned up a soriority in Hawaii with the same name. The year I was a senior, I was the chapter's vice president. Over my four years in high school, it was a phenomenal experience. It probably ruined me a little bit for college because I was so over the whole Greek experience by then that I did not seek out any Greek involvement. Which is odd, because I loved it so much in high school. We had all the stuff you see in silly teenager movies - we had rush and pledging and hazing and camaraderie and secret rituals. Really good times.

I get into ruts, which I call favorites. At my favorite pizza restaurant, I order the exact same two items every time I go. At my favorite pub restaurant, I order the exact same sandwich every time. I've decided they're my favorite items, so that's all I order. I even tell myself, "Order something different." But I usually can't talk myself into it, and just order items I long ago decided were my favorites.

There you go, 7 things.

No comments: