Sunday, November 11, 2007

The old high school

The building has been empty since before I can remember. I'm past 38 years old and can't remember any use of it. In decades past, they said the city still owned the building and it was in use from time to time to store . . . . . whatever. But it looks now like it has fallen into such disrepair that it can't be used for anything. What a shame, it is such a beautiful building even now. Stately. Strong.

The grassy yard in front of it also looks stately, perhaps because of the square nature of the lay out. As I walked around the building for the first time in my 38 years, doubting that in all the time I lived in my hometown there was so much as one day that I did not pass it by, I impressed. I am not sure by what, but impressed. It is tall. Tall windows. Through the broken windows it appears the ceilings are high.

I have wished for a long time that someone, some unknown, unsaid someone would buy the building and refurb it. Offices. Apartments/condos. Just anyone, anything to make it majestic again. But like so many things in my hometown, where the economy has declined and business has left, it just continues to fall into disrepair.

But today it still looked majestic to me.

P.S. I walked away with a brick. If someone does buy it and refurb it, I'll return the brick.

No comments: