Monday, June 2, 2008

Done is better than perfect

I've decided that MyFella should have his own label for postings, since some of them are purely about him or some facet of our relationship. Yay!him!

On another note: MyFella came this weekend, brought Jamie, and did a world of good helping G&D lay a brick patio. I had no idea the amount of work it entailed when I asked of him this favor. I somehow thought it was similar to throwing bricks down and voila! you have a patio. No, it doesn't work quite that way.

D had measured out the 10X10 space to G's request. (Not where I would have wanted it, but it's not my house.) After making me help clean the drive, we waited for G's return with sand. (Did you know you can get a half ton of red sand in the back of your truck for $11? Or white sand for $22?) She pulled in with the timbers and the sand (I still think Bev could of backed the truck up closer, but whatever ~ or at least I tried to get G riled up enough to try it with references to Bev, but they didn't work.) So we had to shovel sand and walk over, to "float" or "level out" the area. Then we (I say we like I did a whole lot of work - just know that "we" references in this posting don't necessarily include me) cut rebarb and used it to nail down the landscape timbers. Then MyFella just started. That's how he handles a project. He just starts.

G came up with a good way to haul bricks over using a sled, and I just did my best at bringing them over 2 by 2 at a time. 10X10 grew to 10X11, I think, because of the quantity of bricks we had, then their youngest son took over sweeping sand into the cracks. Somewhere over halfway of laying bricks, we took a lunch break of pizza. MyFella just about passed out from exhaustion. The oldest son disappeared (like I wished I could have) and the dogs decided to lay in the cool sand. It seemed like days passed. Somewhere around 2:30 to 3, it was all over. And to quote G&D, "Done is better than perfect."

We went out to R&S's who have an above ground pool which made for a perfect cool off. (This was negotiated in as part of the deal.) Then G&D treated us to pulled pork sandwiches, which came from a pork roast that had been slow roasting on the grill outside. It was delish. Certainly not Kosher (D - if you're reading this, it still counts as pork even if you are in Memphis) but certainly delish.

We came home exhausted. Jamie fell asleep in the chair (which would mean he would wake up at 3a.m., bright eyed and bushy tailed). We sat through The Golden Compass and tried to watch an anime for which I had high hopes but turned out to be super yukky (thanks to Netflix, there's no extra charge if it's good or bad). Then exhausted we all finally went to bed.

That day, all completely devoted to my friends, is probably part of the reason that I took PTO today and surprised MyFella. I felt like I needed a way to give back to him. And somehow I knew, I just felt it, that, even though it wasn't a life threatening surgery, that having me walk through those doors would symbolize something.

So of course I walked in and ignored him~ went straight to Jamie holding a Coke Zero, who took it from me. I heard MyFella laugh behind me. I'm sure he caught the fact that I stopped to shake hands with the brother I think is cute, then ignored him as I walked by. Then I went over to his mom and sat down, which I'm sure scored me some points there. She was also my lunch date. We sat next to each other and ordered the same item and I picked up her tab.

One would think with ten of her children and in-laws there, somebody would think to get her ticket. But oh well. It probably scored me a point there too. And I enjoyed her company and would like to think she enjoyed mine.

No comments: