Saturday, June 14, 2008

Minutae

Did I tell you I had a blister on my toe? Bizzare. Looking back, that was a pain that should have been recognizable as a blister. But my mind was just identifying it as 'pain, pain, pain' so I spent the last week or more hobbling around, sneaking sandals in to slip into at work, etc. I finally took a good looking at it, and I guess the blister had finally showed up. I missed my Moma. Moma's are good for blisters, you know. "Hush now." and then they blow on it after lighting a fire to straight pin to sterilize it. I didn't have a match nor alcohol. So if gangrene sets in, it's all my fault. But I've since added the walgreens brand of neosporin to my medicine cabinet. Anyway, it's kept me from walking for over a week ~~ just after I got my good check up! So my plan is to go buy new shoes Monday and start anew!

I'm popping over to my hometown for Father's Day tomorrow. I've packed the car, and at my brother's request bought a watermelon for nephew number 1. "All they have here are those round melon sized ones and they want $8!" 5 minutes later I was at Easy Way, known for it's locally grown stuff, buying a big ol' melon for $6.99. I started to buy a yellow meat one. But now that I know they have them, I may just save that for later. But anyway, I'm gonna try to get home in time for church, even if I drive right up to the church on the way in. Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't. But I know Dad likes it when I do. And it is Father's Day.

I got her through the party today as best I could, then left her to her mother and sister. I slipped a house key in sister's pocket, told her to find the purse and drop it in later. There were signs the husband had come home (can you even use that word anymore, with a shattered marriage?!) late at night, grabbed a bag of stuff and left. She said again today that "I can't make him want to be with me" and she's right. It's just hard to believe that he doesn't. Or that his explanation is "We're in different places." WTF does that even MEAN?

Gay Pride was today, and I was very proud of the festival and the parade. Chicago, we're not. Atlanta, we're not. But we are we, and somebody did real good. I'll have to remember to send a little donation check to the organization.

My favorite thing from pride? A gentleman older than me sat down from me on a bench to take a breather. It was hot out there. I guess someone with a baby walked by - you know, the gay couples with their Asian babies, etc. He said, unprompted, "I don't know why gays want to go and adopt children. I had three of my own I didn't even like!" It was funny as 'ell. Looking back, it's kind of sad. But it's also the reason I think I make a great uncle. Like the coach said, "If they wanted him here on time, they should have brought him themselves!" Damnedskippy! Because I needed a Diet Coke from Sonic! But still, I loved that "I had three of my own I didn't even like!"

I'm missing my man more and more. The Monday trip doesn't count, all surrounded by the hospital. But it'll be three solid work weeks sine we've seen each other last by the time we get to this next weekend.

Oh well, off to bed. Happy days to you!

No comments: