Friday, June 22, 2007

. . . . make an old queer fondly recall younger days . . . .



I took a road trip this week, just got in my car Wednesday morning, drove it to the interstate ramp, and got on. I knew where I was going when I left, but I wasn't sure that I'd actually go the whole way. It's been a long time since I've been to see my kith & kin, but about 90 miles from their house, I thought, "I might should call, and I need a Coke" so I took the next exit and bought a Diet Coke and a pack of nabs.

In one of the cleanest truck stops/gas stations/quick marts I've ever been in, was the nicest bit of eye candy. Heavens oh my. One hot young thing surrounded by two older (I say older, more like my age) cowboy types.

Hot young thing was early 20's, skin was tanned brown, standard tribal tattoo on his arm, and that lean torso had a wife beater thrown on it, laying tight across his pecs. Dark hair and in my imagination, dark attitude. I swear I said the word "GD!" on reflex, but no one heard. The two cowboys looked like the kind of guys that really wear the hat and shirt, though I wouldn't know if they really ride or not. Both nice pieces of beef, shoulders as broad as the young things was lean. Wearing the tight fitting wranglers and the western shirts. My oh my, what a nice cream filled cookie they made.

Later in my trip, I would be with my most favorite aunt when we pulled up on her grandson, not quite knee deep in a ditch with a weed eater, I haven't seen him in probably 8 years. I'd guess he's 21 to 22 now, maybe 23. A white t-shirt with the sleeves ripped out gave a sideways hint at his chest, and that damned mischevious little boy smile of his too grown up. I admit to being glad when we pulled off, before my mind wandered too far down a road it had no business going.

Later that night, I texted a friend of mine married to another cousin about the same age and said to her, "Your husbands first cousin is one nice looking bit of country boy." She replied, "Damn right."

Sights like that make an old queer fondly recall younger days.

*If you're not from the South, 'nabs' is a shortened word for "Nabisco" that refers to the pre packaged peanut butter & crackers. I don't know if the term is still widely in use, but was during my childhood.

No comments: