Sunday, August 10, 2008

Almost 40 years old

OK, OK, 38 and I'll be 39 next month.

MyFella is the guy I've (consistently) dated the longest (either 2 years, or 2 1/2 years depending on how you want to count it). I have never before taken a guy home. It's been decades since I've taken a girl home, and one time a guy came to see me. But that was a very long time ago.

I took him home. No fanfare. No calls ahead. He asked more than once in the last week, "Did you tell them?" Uh, no. I'm not giving anyone any time to THINK about anything.

My dad? I think he likes him more than me. Oh yeah, sure, it's just because MyFella rides horses and loves anything western. But still, my dad is a little on the ornery side. He's not taken by many people. But if you want to discuss who is a better movie cowboy, Gene Autry or Roy Rogers, you are apparently 'in like flynn' whatever that means. And all the better that you can talk about the different kinds and colors of horses, and you'd just as soon spend Sunday afternoon watching an old Western as anything else.

And the rest of the family? Guess who helped cooked burgers AND helped get the kids rounded up to play football at the nephew's birthday party? Yeah, him. There were these flags and tires and things and I just had no idea what they were for (duh on me, it's not like I've never watched a movie with a scene about football training, it just didn't dawn on me that's what this stuff was for) and MyFella just put them in two lines and took them to practicing/playing/competing for about 15 minutes and then rounded up the gang on the field to break into teams and play ball.

It's one thing for your friends or your family to like him better than you. But both? That's a bit much, come on. I feel The Universe laughing at me.

No comments: