Saturday, August 23, 2008

Broke Down Mountain

I don't know what went wrong, but somewhere between going to work and getting to work, my lower back started killing me. I knew with the weekend coming there was no time to dilly dally and called the clinic and got a 1:30pm appointment, for which they did not see me until almost 2:30 and gave me some lame excuse about charts, blah blah blah. I left there with a shot in my butt that was supposed to relieve pain and inflammation and 800 milligram pills of Ibuprofen and some muscle relaxer.

Last night, I had dinner with my friend Red and her best pals M&Somebody. M is bald, gay, a hair dresser, and fabulous. And Somebody's name I can never remember. But two margaritas gave me more relief than I felt all day. Before falling into bed, I took my pills and fell fast asleep until 6a.m.

Between 6a.m. and 7:30a.m. I struggled heartily to get out of bed and pee. It was beyond painful. A little after 8, Red had found a chiropractor who was open, and after a useless call to the insurance card #, I just went on. I needed help.

The pain is now tolerable, in part because I keep moving and try not to over do it, but also try not to get stiff. It could be a combination of the drugs settling in as well as the chiropractic visit. I am taking another set of pills at 3. Let's hope that does well for me.
___________________

Ooooh that was a mistake. Using the only position the doctor said provides relief off that area (on back with feet against the wall), I stayed there with the ice pack about an hour. Getting up ~ uh, a total beotch again. Lost all the ground I've gained. Got a feeling tomorrow morning will be a total beotch too.
________________

11:30p.m. and I just took the pills. I think I'm going to try and support my lower back with some towels or pillows, and sleep in the recliner. I don't know that it'll be good for my back, but it can't be any worse getting up in the morning.

Sigh.

1 comment:

4 Life said...

Ooo, ouch, been there! Have you tried some gentle back stretches? I know it sounds odd to stretch something that hurts so much, but it can work if you're very gentle about it.

Funny writing at your site - got a few giggles here! Thanks much, Cher (not 'The Cher')