Sunday, September 30, 2007

"Do you want to close the door the last time?"

Jason said, and I nodded my head no. So Jason pulled it to, and said, "It's the end of an era." We left behind the courtyard, the building, and everything that went with the place I've had since 1999.

Everyone agrees the new apartment has more space and is laid out better, but just isn't in quite as cute and trendy a neighborhood. Not that there is anything wrong with it, it's just more of a neighborhood of apartments than a cute walking neighborhood with a dozen different bars and ethnic restaurants. Of course, being only 1.6 miles away, it's not like I can't go to those cute restaurants anytime I want to go.

Yesterday, I had quite a crew pulling me out. Spearheaded by My Fella and G, with a lot of support. It took two trips, but we made it. Then I took everyone out to my favorite pizza joint for lunch. I figured that was nicer than ordering it take out. Everyone gets what they want, and gets it hot and fresh.

My Fella spent the better part of the afternoon pushing and tugging until he got my bedroom completely together, and the other bedroom mostly together. Somewhere around five, we decided to break for showers and ride down the interstate to a rodeo. Great decision. While we were all exhausted, it was very good to get out and leave it. And at least we knew we would come home to good bedrooms.

This afternoon, G came back, and she just is a force of nature. Steady, sure, solid, dependable. She kept pushing, pulling, dragging, opening, until one piece by one piece, the apartment as a whole came together. I tried to tackle all the many, many boxes. To be a boy who doesn't cook, I had a ton of boxes labeled "kitchen." geeze!

By the time Ginger and I walked down the street for me to buy her supper, the apartment was complete. Finished. Done.

All that's left to do is decide what, if anything, I want to hang on the wall. And hang it. It's been exhausting. But it's all done. I think the hardwood floors probably need a good mopping, but that's really it. Clothes are unpacked, food and dishes, unpacked, furniture in all the correct places, etc. It is great to be so completely done and finished with it all.

* I'm having trouble getting the picture to come across, but I do have one for this post.

2 comments:

piper said...

congrats dahling! moving is awful!

ps. the word verification spells out "narkmunsh" it needed to be noted.

Save This MG said...

Solid and steady. I sound like a brick wall.

WAIT!! I am!

Enjoyed helping you move.