Friday, September 21, 2007

It's all tied together, isn't it

or better titled "Her name is Bev" sung either to the tune of "Her name was Lola" or "Her name is Rio."

You see, I moved here in 1999, straight from my hometown in tinysville, Arkansas. My friend Jennifer, her family had built and still owned the building generations later, and she said, after confirming my gayness, "You need to move. You need to move into my building. I have an opening."

Not long after, I met Bev. I remember it because I thought I didn't need Bev. "We've hired somebody" he said. A radio d.j. who will emcee the promotion. Well duh, I've been doing just fine for years and besides, I didn't even listen to her radio station. Later that night I was with her and her guest having supper in our steakhouse, laying the first tentative tiles of foundation on our friendship. I told her about this supposed apartment, and she said, "Come have dinner with me and some friends Monday night. I know where it is, I'll take you." Well, I get there late and supper is over. I remember feeling awkward, a small town boy in this big city at this restaurant, and more awkward that I was so late. But what I remember most is her & Sheila, we got in a big ol' truck and drove over to the apartment. Then we went rug shopping. Even now when I pass the Kellogg's plant, with their bright red neon lights, I remember the night we drove past it, going to a Target to look for a rug.

The next week I came back, or at least some week soon after. I moved to Millie's Place, with it's off street parking and it's little courtyard, and the first of the restaurants to be within walking distance. And every Monday night for a long, long time, I had dinner with Bev, who introduced me to several people who are my friends today. Bev has moved on the far outskirts of town, and I don't see her much. My Fella asks about her often, he's quite smitten with her.

Bev called me today, we spoke briefly, as I was just about to have dinner with some people at work. Later tonight, I was talking with Foo Foo neighbor about the beginning, the beginning of my time here. I reminisced about how I moved in and started meeting Bev for dinner every Monday night, and how she introduced me several people who are my friends, one of whom is one of my very closest. I reminisced about how I moved into this place with it's little courtyard, and the first of the restaurants within walking distance. I reminisced about the men I have loved and made love to here, and how I have had such strong heartache here as well. I reminisced about the super bowl parties, the neighborhood festival parties, the christmas tree decorating parties. I have had guests in my home and roommates here, and one wild boy. . . . . who warrants a post all his own, but I fear too many people may see it. But this post isn't about him, it's about her, my radio d.j. love, and how it all started with her saying, "Come to dinner. I'll take you and show you the apartment."

No comments: