Sunday, September 9, 2007

Rain

The power went off about 9:30 last night. "They say" there was a wreck on our street, about 8 blocks down, and it took out a transformer. One of my neighbors said he called the power company and told them his father is on oxygen. I laughed so hard, his father recently passed on after a long illness. One of the neighbors, cute-young-straight, was out on the patio with his pal, and the air had the slightest hint of coolness and a very light breeze, so I joined them, soon followed by Foo Foo.

Once or twice the rain would spit, and we persevered, and then a storm came down. We gave up the patio, Foo Foo slipping to a fall as she went in. I found myself a few minutes later on my porch stoop with Upstairs Neighbor, watching a thick thick parade of traffic go by, no doubt detoured down our road by the accident and all the more congested for a ball game let out at the near by stadium.

Finally we gave it all up, coming in to go to bed in the dark. I spent more time than should have been necessary cleaning up the glass I had broken in the kitchen, but it's just hard to sweep, mop and pick up glass with one flashlight, in the pitch dark.

I'm about to shower and go to church, maybe the rain will hold off long enough for me to walk down there. Seems a shame to drive less than one block.

1 comment:

Noodle said...

How long was the power off? You know I've always loved that little communal area out there.