Friday, December 21, 2007

I've got a treasure. . . .

he said as I handed him a tissue and told him to quit picking his nose. But that's a boy for you, regardless of the age. A second later he said "eewww that's a big ol' nugget."

That would be Noodle's son, Spyder. Tonight I hung out with (babysat) what is collectively called 'the urchins.' It was a very nice night for all of us. They were very well behaved, and we did some things I thought they thought they would enjoy - like our choice for dinner and getting Spyder some batteries for his new toy.

When I said "You know my rules" they both held hands in the parking lot. I do not deviate from that rule, oft telling them "If one of you gets smushed, Mom & Dad will be SO annoyed with me!" When we went in Fazoli's for supper, I told them both to stay in the booth until I got back (they are frequent visitors to the place and very uncomfortable there. I, however, am acutely aware that the other people are strangers to us). And lo, when I returned with our order, they were right where I had left them. They both ate their meals without so much as one single "Eat." When young Sass asked for "dessert or something" I couldn't resist the temptation and offered choices like pickles, liver, etc. and she countered by saying she wanted something that rhymed with "gooky." Subtle, that one.

I decided a carton of ice cream from Kroger would be less expensive for me and better for everyone (as in, we'll get more for our money). We let Sass pick and Spyder had right to veto. We ended up with cookie dough and it was pretty good. So we got to eat ice cream and watch Kim Possible's "Stitch in Time" while Spyder played with a toy set he got tonight as a Christmas present.

No good pictures of the night. But if you know what Spyder looks like, imagine him with that finger up his nose digging for gold. Boys will be boys.

1 comment:

Noodle said...

I am so embarrassed! Those children o' mine . . . .

Sass expects dessert after every meal, including breakfast. Spyder normally isn't quite so, er, enthusiastic about his treasure hunting in public. Or at least, not in front of me.

I'm still embarrassed . . . .