Sunday, December 9, 2007

Where there is a will, there is a way


or titled "6 hours round trip" . . . about a week ago, the little sister of Birthday Girl (for the day) sent me an email through myspace and invited me to her sister's surprise 40th birthday party. . . . at a Chinese buffet . . . . 3 hours from my home. . . . which would be six hours round trip to eat a Chinese buffet. . . . .
Alright, I considered it, waffled it, considered some more and argued with myself:
- I live alone with no dog, just so I can pick up and go when I want to
- I've been friends with her since about 1983 (with a "on hold" period of some few years as the result of a . . . . family schism and some serious misunderstandings - as I mentioned in a post a few months ago when I spoke about a cousin of mine)
- I really enjoy her husband and kids (as much as I can ever enjoy kids that aren't "mine.") Her husband and I graduated together from high school. While we were not friends, we were not un-friends. We would of recognized each other in the mall and spoken probably. But he always has a very genuine smile on his face when I see them - if they come to town and bring the kids to the zoo or something they usually call.
-It's a once in a lifetime event, 40 years old
-I didn't really have any plans anyway

Then I would waffle:
- Six hours round trip for a Chinese buffet? PLEASE. Come on, get serious.
- Have you SEEN the price of gas?
- I have bought a total of ONE present for Christmas. There is other stuff to do this weekend.

So I compromised with myself by making it a bigger weekend. I reached out to a friend of mine in Little Rock and spent the night with her and her husband and family. The husband grilled steaks and she made a tossed salad with a yummy balsamic vinegarette dressing and a hashbrown casserole, we drank red wine and sat up talking later than we should have.

In the morning, I rode another hour with mapquest directions and hoping and wishing there would still be a party. The younger sister had failed to check back in so my subsequent emails saying "I am coming" and "could you send me directions" and "is the party still on?" went unanswered. So I quite literally walked into the restaurant with no idea if there was still a party or not.

I knew I could not get to the husband without Birthday Girl knowing something was up, and I had sent some generic emails to a yahoo group we are both on, hoping for leading answers such as "What's everyone's plan for the weekend?" thinking Birthday Girl might respond that she was having lunch with her dad at her favorite place or something. But no such luck.

Anyway, I walked in and there was younger sister, if possible more beautiful than ever, tieing balloons onto chairs. I haven't seen her in probably . . . . geeze, I'd hate to know how many years. I had to tell her "With love honey, you need to check your emails more often if you invite someone to drive 3 hours to a party."

No harm, no foul. It was very nice to see her Mom & Dad again after so many years, and after the lunch, Birthday Girl's husband "gifted" us by taking the kids and letting us have the afternoon to ride around Hot Springs. We rode up into the mountain trail and through the city and just had a very nice afternoon together, before I began my trek back home.

- - There are some pics, but my little card reader isn't working. I need to pick up another one or wait til I get to work tomorrow and email them back to myself.

No comments: