Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Blogging

You know, i like blogging. I miss it when I don't blog. Or I hate that I think of something in the middle of the day, and then forget it. But sometimes I just don't have anything to blog, you know?

Civic Organization: Prayer at meeting today - 1 minute and 40 seconds. I've been timing it every week. You try and pray out loud for a minute and 40 seconds. That's a long time. His average seems to be one minute and 45 seconds. He's hit two minutes before. I tried a few times to count all the things he thanked for, but that got too long without using note paper.

Better Life Plan: Oy vey! But I have eaten something wretched the last two weeks and not walked worth a durn. You know, that first two weeks after the nurse practicioner gave me a stern lecture, I was just plain skert. (That's scared, in country slang). But now I'm not so good anymore. I was even good at work because I ate so much lunch in the employee dining room. I could have a grilled chicken breast and if there was a green vegetable, choose it. But I got so sick and tired of it. Ugh. Plus every visit to MyFella we just eat out too much. I haven't done good at walking lately either. I probably should just call and schedule a heart attack. It'll be easier that way.


MyFella: Graduated Saturday with an Associates in I.T. I'm very proud of him, returning to school at the age of 41. It took me a while to figure out that he went crazy near the end of every semester. This was no different. I even called him on it. 'There you go acting all crazy like you do at the end of every semester.' And then he makes very emotional decisions when it comes to his family. I guess we all do, which is why they are family. But I finally told him 'Just shut up. I am coming up in time to take you to lunch.' I was tired of hearing all about what they wanted for supper versus what he wanted. I solved it by taking him to his place for lunch. And then they STILL acted up come supper time. I just don't understand why they all had to make it 'about them' when it really should have been 'about him'. If you can't give him one darned afternoon, then screw you. I see how he worries and frets over them all. i've told him before to quit it. But we all act a certain way for family. I am no different, just a pot calling a kettle black.

Sweetest Thing: MyFella got good and tired of listening to me whine because I don't have a good patio at this apartment. Know what he did? Went out back of his home and laid out 4 planks in a square, leveled off the ground with dirt, hauled his existing paving stones over there and laid them out in a pattern, went and bought new paving stones to fill in the blank spots. Yes, MyFella made me a patio. I meant and meant to take a picture of it this weekend. We had our first "sit out." We weren't prepared. No glass of fresh ice tea or a beer, and we'll wait to catch an end of summer sale on a lawn set. But it's a patio. And he made it for me.

A.I.: I don't want to post about A.I. I really don't. But I have to say this season has grown boorish for me. Aside from that nightmare of Jason Castro last night, there was really nothing interesting. If you could vote OFF, I would of put some serious texting out there this season. If I didn't have supper with my friends every Tuesday, I'd have given up on this season long ago. You can tell by the way the contestants were pinged off that it's not really a talent competition. People vote for whatever reason, but leaving Jason Castro on this long has nothing to do with talent. That's just my opinion, but it is based on a 'top 4' finalist who can't remember the words to his song. Give me a good excuse for that one? There's not.

Amish: I went with MyFella to have shoes put on two of his horses by an Amish guy.* We got there at 9a.m. and by person count, we were fourth in line. But by horse count, we were like 15 & 16. Made for a long day. I took a PTO to give MyFella a 3 day weekend together, and so I could go experience this Amish thing. If we had lucked out better, it would not have been an all day thing. Or if we had planned better, we would of taken some lunch, a cooler with some drinks, etc. But here's the positive that I gained from the experience:

*Watching a horse get shod by a professional is interesting. average 20 minutes a horse and with sure-hands, there's a neat technique to it.
*Even an Amish man's shop will have the same stupid photo-copied signs as any Redneck shop in town or your work-neighbor's-cubical. Examples: If you are blah blah blah, there will be a $20 charge just for putting up with you. Or the crowd favorite: Answers. Dumb answers: $10, Thoughtful answers: $20, Stupid Looks: Always Free. Or the 'If it's open, close it. If it's blah, blah, blah.' At some point, with all the guys around, the conversation turned to sex. Surprised me, but even the Amish guy talked about it. I might as well have been at my buddy Johnny's service station than in an Amish community
*Amish don't switch to daylight savings time. So in conversation with each other, with 'English' around, they'll say 'Amish time?' for clarification.
*All their clothes really do look the same. I looked for differences, but honestly didn't see enough examples to discern the differences. But if you think about it, between Old Navy, Gap, Target, etc., a lot of our clothes look the same too.
*The ladies can bake some good stuff. Bread, jelly, butter, candy. The ladies had no trouble speaking to you, but concluded their business and were done. The guys didn't mind chatting like normal.
*Children play. And they play imitating their parents. One boy was mowing the lawn and we weren't sure he was doing any good at cutting the grass. We asked about it and the guy said, 'Really he's just playing. School's out.'
Which leads me to believe, over all that they are 'just like us, only different.' I had that same thought when I attended a very Conservative and Kosher Passover dinner several years ago. Really, it was 'just like Thanksgiving dinner, but different.' And it seems it's that way with the Amish too. They are 'just like us, but different.'
I decided the next time MyFella goes, I don't really have to go. If I can get off, great. If not, I'll just give him $15 and a grocery list.






*If I understand it right, a guy who professionally puts horseshoes on a horse is a ferrier. You shoe a horse. But afterwards, he has been shod.



No comments: