Thursday, May 22, 2008

Gianni Versace


A long, long time ago, a business friend took me and Marilyn (if only I knew how to link back) into a store on the boardwalk in Atlantic City and said, "Pick something out." Marilyn picked out a little gold net top and I picked out a pretty tie. It didn't occur to me that the '100' on the back of the tie could possibly be THE PRICE! FOR A TIE! We were in a Versace store and the owner is/was a friend of hers.

Back at work, a co worker recognized it and said, "Versace?" So I knew immediately that I LOVED VERSACE! I was also 25 years old, probably making $25K a year and living at home in Arkansas. Really, what did I know about Versace? I knew I wanted at least one more. Why? Because after she gave me another one for whatever reason, I was able to say. . . and yes, I waited anxiously for the compliment to come . . . "Nice tie" Thank you (very off-handed) it's just one of my Versace's.

Yea that should have been a hint I was headed for gay-dom. After I got one more or so, I had ruined (horrors!) one of them at a New Year's Eve party I was real upset, especially after my Dad announced it was as good as a wash cloth now and my brother laughed. (Family. Gotta love 'em.) Anyway, it's been years since I worked at that place and I haven't worn ties to work day-to-day in years. But today I need one and I'm digging through the closet and would you believe that my youthful desire got me up to 5. Count 'em, 5 Gianni Versace ties. Now hanging useless in the closet.

But they sure are pretty.

No comments: