Thursday, May 22, 2008

Day 11 Without Air

Today will be day 11 without air. On day 5, I went right up in the office looking for Magical Mystical Peter. I call him that because the lady on the phone refers to Peter like "Peter said" or "I'll tell Peter." So I figured it was time to go see Peter. I was armed with a strong will and a made-up mind. I walked in his office unannounced and said, "I'm looking for Peter!"

Yeah, the minute he stood up, I started planning our Summer wedding. Broad shoulders and a build that would have done him well in high school football, which couldn't have been more than 7 years ago. Brown hair and a nice face. Deep voice that belies his age. I think the Summer will be too warm for an outdoor ceremony, but we might have it someplace such as the Botanic Gardens, where the green can be the backdrop. He is certainly not hard on the eyes.

But back to business - Magical Mystical Peter called the air guy, hung up and told me the problem is in a wire that runs from the thermostat to the unit. The wire tells the unit to kick in, while another wire apparently tells it to blow. The wires run underneath the apartment, as does the ductwork. The guy said he'd get it fixed that afternoon. Which didn't happen.

On Monday of this week, I got my window screen for the bedroom, which is a good thing since I had to sleep with the window open last night. (Let me point out, that midtown is not the place to sleep with a bedroom window open.) I've been coming home to an apartment in the high 70's like 76, 77, 78 and even 80. I've kept Peter abreast of the changing temperature via emails. And I've mailed two letters to him - advice from my attorney friend who has another plan, should this keep up much longer. But I'm hopeful, after coming home last night and finding the fuse box left open, that the end is in sight.

I hope so. I don't want any pesky bad feelings about this air conditioner hanging between Peter and I during the ceremony. But if I have to make my point by bringing him to this un-airconditioned apartment for the honeymoon, so be it!

No comments: